What about the operational attenuation 2K in the simplified RTE?
- This all important question is discussed in detail by Maritorena et al, 1994, in their paper "Diffuse reflectance of oceanic shallow waters: influence of water depth and bottom albedo".
- I have come to suspect that shallow areas in a deglinted remote sensing image allow the practioner to derive a very good estimation of the value of spectral operational 2K in units of m-1 :
- Radiances in units of native image DNs may used: conversion into reflectances (0-1) is not a requirement when operating a "ratio method".
- Retrieved depths are computed in units of m, without the need/use of any field data for calibration of the simplified RTE.
- Water column corrected spectral bottom signatures are computed in units of native image DNs.
- This is presented in my new web page 4SM 2K Jerlov.
How about implementing 4SM into ENVI?
Now that NOAA's method is available in ENVI: Spear Relative Water Depth
This is "a bottom albedo-independent Bathymetry algorithm developed by Stumpf and Holderied (2003)"
Time has come for 4SM to follow suit and show its strength
Time has come for 4SM to be operated through cloud computing.
About DigitalGlobe's BathymetricCompendium.pdf 2013